0223 GMT July 22, 2018
Public Health Ministry spokesman Wahid Majro said another 112 people were wounded in Sunday's attack, updating an earlier toll. General Daud Amin, the Kabul police chief, said the suicide bomber targeted civilians who had gathered to receive national identification cards, AP reported.
The large explosion echoed across the city, shattering windows miles away from the attack site and damaging several nearby vehicles. Police blocked all roads to the blast site, with only ambulances allowed in. Local TV stations broadcast live footage of hundreds of distraught people gathered at nearby hospitals seeking word about loved ones.
Majro said there were five small children and 21 women among the dead. More than a dozen children and nearly 50 women were wounded, he said, adding that the tolls could still rise.
"It happened at the entrance gate of the center. It was a suicide attack," Amin told AFP.
Sheets of paper and passport-sized photos lay scattered amid shattered glass and pools of blood on the street near badly damaged cars – grim evidence of the force of the blast.
Photos posted on social media purportedly of the scene showed several bodies on the ground and a badly damaged two-story building.
Daesh claimed responsibility in a statement carried by its propaganda outlet, Amaq News Agency.
Afghanistan will hold parliamentary elections in October.
The last major attack in Kabul was on March 21 when a Daesh suicide bomber blew himself up in a crowd celebrating the Persian New Year holiday and killed at least 33 people.
Last week, three police officers responsible for guarding voter registration centers in two Afghan provinces were killed by terrorists, according to authorities.