News ID: 204509
Published: 0304 GMT November 17, 2017

Saudi war on Yemen continues as calls grow for lifting blockade

Saudi war on Yemen continues as calls grow for lifting blockade

Nearly two dozen civilians lost their lives and several others sustained injuries when Saudi fighter jets carried out two separate attacks in Yemen as the kingdom presses ahead with its devastating aerial bombardment campaign against its impoverished southern neighbor.

Local sources told Yemen’s Arabic-language Al-Masirah television network that at least 17 civilians were killed on Friday afternoon as Saudi military aircraft struck a commercial neighborhood in the Al-Jaar area of Abs district in Yemen's northwestern province of Hajjah, according to Press TV.

The overall death toll is expected to rise as some of the injured victims are in a critical condition.

Earlier in the day, six civilians were killed and eight others wounded when a Saudi airstrike targeted a bus carrying passengers along a road in the Khamis al-Wa’izat area of Az-Zuhrah district in the western coastal province of Hodeida.

Saudi Arabia has been incessantly pounding Yemen since March 2015 killing more than 12,000 people.

Much of the country's infrastructure, including hospitals, schools and factories, has been reduced to rubble due to the war.

The Saudi-led war has also triggered a deadly cholera epidemic across Yemen.

According to the World Health Organization’s latest count, the cholera outbreak has killed 2,167 people since the end of April and is suspected to have infected 841,906 others.

Earlier this month, Saudi Arabia also announced that it was shutting down Yemen’s air, sea, and land borders, after Yemenis targeted an international airport near the Saudi capital.

 

‘Stupid’ war

United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres on Thursday described Saudi Arabia’s long-running war on Yemen as “stupid,” saying the blockade on the impoverished country must come to an end.

Speaking to reporters, the UN chief’s spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said Guterres had written a letter to Saudi Arabia’s UN envoy Abdallah al-Mouallimi, asking the kingdom and its allies to reopen Yemen's sea and air borders.

"The secretary general is very much disappointed that we have not seen a lifting of the blockade," said Dujarric, underscoring Guterres’ frustration with Saudi officials’ disregard for international calls to remove the siege.

Guterres and his top aid officials are "heartbroken at the scenes we are seeing from Yemen and the risk of continued suffering of the Yemeni people," Dujarric added.

Meanwhile, Save the Children said an estimated 130 children or more die every day in war-torn Yemen from extreme hunger and disease.

   
KeyWords
 
Comments
Comment
Name:
Email:
Comment:
Security Key:
Captcha refresh
Page Generated in 0/2344 sec