News ID: 204284
Published: 0400 GMT November 13, 2017

Yemen’s Houthis: Missile launched at Riyadh was ‘Yemeni-produced’

Yemen’s Houthis: Missile launched at Riyadh was ‘Yemeni-produced’
AP

Yemen’s Houthi Ansarullah movement directly rebutted US assertions that a missile launched into Saudi Arabia earlier this month was manufactured by Iran.

Col. Aziz Rashed, a spokesman for the Houthi, said on Sunday that the missile intercepted by the Saudis near the capital Riyadh on Nov. 4 was “Yemeni-produced,” AP reported.

The US contends that the ballistic missile was Iranian-made and remnants of it bore “Iranian markings.” Iran has denied that.

Rashed added, however, that if the Yemeni forces could obtain “strategic weapons from any state, we would not hesitate one moment.”

A Saudi-led, US-backed coalition allied with the former Yemeni president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, has been at war with Yemen since March 2015.

Yemen has been under heavy airstrikes by Saudi Arabia’s warplanes as part of the brutal war in an attempt to crush the popular Houthi Ansarullah movement and reinstall Hadi, a staunch ally of Riyadh.

The coalition tightened its blockade on Yemen after the missile was fired.

 

Caution over blockade

 

Saleh al-Sammad, the head of the Presidency Council of Yemen, vowed retaliation against the oil-rich kingdom over its disastrous blockade of the war-torn country.

Saudi Arabia said on Monday that it will begin reopening airports and seaports in Yemen after days of closing them over the ballistic missile attack on Riyadh.

Those ports are in Yemeni cities of Aden, Mocha and Mukalla. For ports in disputed territories, such as the city of Hodeida, the mission said it has asked the UN to send a team of experts to discuss ways to make sure weapons can't be smuggled in.

The announcement from the Saudi mission at the United Nations came after the coalition faced widespread international criticism over the closure, with the UN and over 20 aid groups saying it could bring millions of people closer to "starvation and death."

Al-Sammad told a rally of thousands of supporters marching down a main boulevard in the capital, Sana’a, that the coalition has "shut down all doors for peace and dialogue."

He also said that the more the blockade tightens, the more the country will develop its abilities to “respond to the assault of the enemy.”

 

   
KeyWords
 
Comments
Comment
Name:
Email:
Comment:
Security Key:
Captcha refresh
Page Generated in 0/0717 sec