Nigeria's President Muhammadu Buhari has sacked top military chiefs due to their failure to contain Boko Haram's militancy across the West African country.
"The President has relieved the service chiefs, including the heads of the army, air force and navy of their appointments," media outlets quoted spokesman Femi Adesina as saying on Monday.
The spokesman added that Buhari is to announce their replacements soon.
The dismissal of entire military top brass was widely anticipated as Buhari, a former general, has repeatedly criticized the military's inability to defeat Boko Haram Takfiri militant group.
Boko Haram has intensified its attacks since Buhari's inauguration on May 29. The president has since made crackdown on militants his top priority.
Also on Monday, civilian vigilantes helping Nigerian troops in the fight against Boko Haram said that casualties were feared after a bomber detonated explosives at a military checkpoint on the outskirts of Maiduguri in the country’s troubled northeast.
Haruna Bukar, a civilian security agent had earlier told media outlets that at least 43 civilians were killed in Misala and Kalwa villages between Friday and Sunday.
Boko Haram has claimed responsibility for a number of deadly bombings and shooting attacks in Nigeria since the beginning of its operation in 2009. The militancy has left some 15,000 people dead and around 1.5 million others displaced over the past six years.
The militant group says its main objective is to overthrow the Abuja government.
The Boko Harman militancy has spilled over into several neighboring African nations as well. Troops from Nigeria, Chad, Cameroon and Niger have been battling Boko Haram terrorists in recent months.
The terrorists have recently pledged allegiance to the ISIL Takfiri group, which is primarily operating inside Syria and Iraq.